Netifi and Open Source

Hello,

I’ve recently discovered Netifi and I could use some help in understanding terminology and moving parts.

Per the Netifi website, “Netifi Community Edition is free to use, open-source, and licensed under the Apache License 2.0.”.

Is NCE something different from the Proteus Community Edition(PCE)?

Which components of NCE are open source(clients, broker, console, etc)?

For NCE components that are open source, where can we find the source code and license?

For NCE components that are not open source, where can we find the license and/or usage restrictions, if any?

Are the components required to run a barebones NCE cluster all open source?

Thanks for your help and congratulations on an awesome project.

Hi Pedro,

Is NCE something different from the Proteus Community Edition(PCE)?

We are currently in the process of rebranding Proteus Community Edition to just “Netifi Community Edition”. Both names refer to the same thing. The Proteus name will be dropped in the next release.

Which components of NCE are open source(clients, broker, console, etc)?

Netifi Community Edition components are all open source. Netifi Community Edition contains the clients and the brokers.

For NCE components that are open source, where can we find the source code and license?

The Netifi Community Edition code can currently be found in the Proteus github projects (these will be re-pointed to Netifi named projects once the rename takes place): https://github.com/netifi-proteus

For NCE components that are not open source, where can we find the license and/or usage restrictions, if any?

There are no closed source components of Netifi Community Edition. All components are open source and Apache 2.0 licensed. We do offer a Netifi Enterprise version that has some closed source components.

Are the components required to run a barebones NCE cluster all open source?

Yes, everything you need to run a Netifi Community Edition cluster and the clients to interact with it are open source.

Thank you for your response @greg

As quick follow-up, allow me to suggest the addition of a Netifi release page analogous to Confluent’s along with a roadmap at least for OSS.

Excellent suggestion. We will work on getting this up on the website.